These homemade gems are just some of our favorite cheeses from regions across our homeland. We feature Vermont Butter and Cheese's award winning Bonne Bouche, and Jasper Hill's Bailey Hazen Blue, Georgia's Sweet Grass Dairy Green Hill , award winning Pleasant Ridge Reserve from Uplands Farm in Wisconsin and straight from Pikes Market in Seattle, the bandage wrapped Flagship Reserve Cheddar. Serves 8-12 people.
DETAILS: You receive -
- Vermont Butter and Cheese Company Bonne Bouche - Vermont - This hand ladled, ash ripened cheese is named after a French term "delicious mouthful". It has won instant acclaim and won first place award for an aged goat cheese and runner up to Best of Show at the American Cheese Society competition. Delicate and tangy when young, it becomes softer and the rind becomes more dry and piquant with age.
- Sweet Grass Dairy's Green Hill - Thomasville, Georgia - Green Hill is a pasterurized, soft-ripened Camembert style cheese. The artisan production yields a thin rind with a rich, unctuous paste and a sweet, buttery flavor. It has received numerous awards and its success is rooted in their grass-fed cows milk.
- Uplands Farms Pleasant Ridge Reserve - Wisconsin - This award winning cheese is made from cross-breeding Holstein Cows with other fine milking breeds. It is made in the farmhouse style of Beaufort or Comte while it has earned its designation as a true American Original. It has won numerous awards as Best of Show at the American Cheese Society competions and around the world as well.
- Jasper Hill Bayley Hazen Blue - Greensboro VT - This mild and buttery blue is made from the finest raw cow's milk available in America. This natural rinded blue is made primarily with morning milk which is lower in fat. The paste is drier than most blues and the penicillium roqueforti takes a back seat to an array of flavors that hind at nuts and grasses and sometimes licorice. Its texture reminds one of chocolate and butter. Named after two revolutionary war era Generals, Bayley and Hazen, who build the Hazen Military Road in anticipation of battling the English at the Canadian front.
- Beechers Flagship Reserve Truckle - Seattle, WA - Beechers Flagship Cheddar is stored covered in its pikes place market creamery in 40 lb blocks, but every year some curds are set aside to make 18 lb reserve "truckles" which are aged in open air and develop a natural mold rind. Although almost identical to cheddar, the Flaship has an added culture often used in Gruyere and Emmental cheeses that dimnishes bright acidity and accents richness. It has a sharp bite up front, immediately tempered by toasted nuts and caramelized butter, just sweet enough to accent the salt. It's a spectacular cheese.
Suggested accompaniments are TCC sundried tomato pesto, fig spread, fruit chutney and a light crisp sauvignon blanc or Merlot.
Approximately 2 1/2 lbs of cheese